In 1842 slaves that was freed got relocated to the property of G.A. Zahn, a Rhenish Missionary. In 1953 the Dutch Reformed Missionchurch in South-Africa took over the estate. After rebuilding and upgrading the farm and school in 1960/61, a children’s home for needy children was established. By 1966 the Children’s home had 280 children living there.
Because of the earthquake in September 1969, the Children’s home was temporarily closed until October 1971. Between 1975 and 1977 repairs and expansion was done to make it what it is still today.